Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy Birthday, America... tomorrow!

So I figured I should write at least one other blog this week other than my weight loss blog post (that I will post Saturday). So, in light of the 232nd anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, I thought I'd write. Because, hey, without it, we would never have fought for our independence, never written the Constitution and never would have been a prototype nation for democratic republicanism. (I find it funny how ideally the words Democratic and Republican are put together to describe what our government is supposed to be, working together, not stabbing each other in the back. Alas, I digress.)
As for the topic of the Constitution, without it, I might not be able to write this without fear for my life. (Although not technically in the Constitution, the right to the freedom of expression is one of the first Amendments in the Bill of Rights. Yeah for Bill of Rights!)

In another totally unrelated topic, when I remembered what day today was (July 3rd), it reminded of something that happen exactly a year ago. It was exactly one year ago that I was diagnosed with a seizure disorder and found out that I'd have to deal with this for the rest of my life. While it may not seem freeing, in a sense, it is. Because when you know what illnesses or disorders you have, you are better able to cope with them. Knowledge is power and now that I know, I can fit my life so that I can do everything I want to do without worrying that something mysterious is plaguing my life. Also, in another sense, learning about my disorder was freeing because I realized that I shouldn't always be worrying about what if, that I need to live my live to the fullest. So far I have been doing that. I've lived in China, I've built houses in Tacoma, I'm going to my very first writer's conference, I'm working on preparing for graduate school and I've been planning a trip to Europe for next summer where I plan on weaving my way through Europe in about 2 weeks.

Anyway, that's about it for now and for me. I hope everyone (or anyone) who reads this, will have a happy and safe 4th of July!

No comments: